Are you ready to jump in?
Last week I announced my summer challenge: Sixty Days of Creativity. I’ve had some very positive comments about the exercise and other people are going to be joining me for all or part of the summer and working on their creative projects. Even if you can’t commit to the sixty days I would love to have you along and I will be cheerleading for everyone who undertakes any part of this journey.
There are myriad reasons why I want to do this but the overriding factor is that I want to get my discipline back. Setting aside one hour every day for writing (or other creative endeavours) is a small commitment, but I know that in the past few months I struggled to keep to that even that small time frame. A couple of days ago, I saw an article entitled Are You Trapped in a “Shadow Career”? The Artist vs The Addict by by Jocelyn K. Glei, which really resonated with me. The article talks about ‘ Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life’s Work‘ (by Steven Pressfield) and what separates those who are artists only in their imaginations from those that actually work towards their goals. Have you lived in the shadows long enough? I know I have.
Taking the plunge
If you don’t know whether you are cut out for the life as an artist or creative, join the club! But the only way to really know is to start doing it, and don’t stop until you are sure one way or the other. The Sixty Day Challenge is one way to find out, and I’ll be posting updates regularly here with milestones, feedback, triumphs and mistakes. I would love to hear from you about how you motivate, reward and inspire yourself and other people, and I’ll share all the advice as we go along. I don’t know exactly how this is going to play out, but I do know that I’m excited to find out.
Some ground rules for the challenge:
- The Sixty Day Creative Challenge is open to everyone, and you can start it at any time. I will be starting on Thursday June 28th 2012, the first day of summer vacation over here in Abbotsford, BC.
- If you are doing the Challenge please let me know! I’d love to link to your work, tweets and posts about what you are doing.
- Twitter tag will be #60daysCC, use it and let people know you are using your summer to build your creative muscles.
- ‘Creative’ is a very broad description deliberately. It might be writing, singing, making furniture, crafting, photography – ANYTHING that requires you to step into your creative/artistic space to achieve a goal. The goal can be small or big, it is up to you.
- The Challenge should be challenging, but not impossible! Be realistic. Stretch yourself but make sure it remains enjoyable. If you need help – ask!
Did I forget anything?
I probably did, so let me know and I’ll do updates as we go along. Good luck, and see you on Thursday 🙂